Monday 13 May 2013

Baby Steps

I have been sick for the last couple of days with a nasty cold. Of course this meant that I banned myself from the ICU. The nurses were very kind and I called them several times a day and kept informed on Carl's progress.
Last night I suddenly realized that although I was still coughing I felt better than I had in days. That is when a massive anxiety attack hit me. Nothing would do but I HAD to see him. I thru myself together, and believe me I was not a pretty sight and tore up to the hospital. (The "droplet precautions" have been lifted but I will still wear a mask until this cold passes. The darn thing causes my glasses fog up.)
He was as glad to see me as I was to see him. We didn't have much time because it was shift change in an hour. It gave me an opportunity to ask questions of the nurse, in front of Carl, so that he would hear from her that he is IMPROVING. The last X-ray shows a minimal improvement. The ventilator O2 has been turned down slightly. The pressure is still being maintained. The fever is gone. The lab work has all come back bacteria free. These are baby steps but they are in the right direction. I just want him to come home. We had no idea a week ago that  we would be at this point. He is still lightly sedated so he can tolerate the ventilator and drifts off every now and then. This week they are going to repeat the CT Scan and compare it with the one he had previously and today we should have the results from Friday's bronchoscopy.

No comments:

Post a Comment